In 1910, as Thomas Edison noted, we understood a sustainable, solar-powered world was practical:
"Sunshine is spread out thin and so is electricity. Perhaps they are the same, Sunshine is a form of energy, and the winds and the tides are manifestations of energy.”
“Do we use them? Oh, no! We burn up wood and coal, as renters burn up the front fence for fuel. We live like squatters, not as if we owned the property."
“There must surely come a time when heat and power will be stored in unlimited quantities in every community, all gathered by natural forces. Electricity ought to be as cheap as oxygen..."
There are alternatives to the oil and coal burning infrastructures that are currently mandated by the US Federal government:
- Railroads are 140 times more efficient than moving two tons in a car to move a person. Yet since The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1916, 46% of railroads have been replaced by radically less efficient roads.
- The Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) network in Morgantown, WV continues to deliver more than 150 million injury-free passenger-miles. Yet in the same period, 1.8 million Americans died on roads and the Federal DOT has blocked building more PRT networks.
- JPods solar-powered mobility networks are 10 to 50 times less expensive to operate than oil-powered roads. Yet, Federal DOT has blocked building solar-powered mobility networks for the last 21 years.
Climate Change Root Cause
The Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1916 triggered Climate Change by making the burning of oil and coal the centerpiece of a century-long government planned economy. Federal standards mandate Americans pay:
- To burn oil by moving two tons to move a person.
- To burn coal to power homes and commerce.
A century of Federal central economic planning is:
- Usurping State Sovereignty over internal improvements.
- Removing efficiency as a market force.
- Implementing a central plan.
- The great innovations of Ford, Edison, Bell, and the Wright Brothers are now monopolized into a Federal economic plan mandating a car-oil highway and coal-central grid.
- Creating an economic model of central planning as the world adopted the US government's model after World War II.
Thus, the root cause of Climate Change is the US government's socializing of infrastructure.
Government central planners care about the plan, not the efficiency. The US government's central plan to create a car/oil/highway economy replaced 46% of the 400+ ton-mpg freight railroads with our drastically less efficient 25 mpg roads.
This graph illustrates efficient railroads being replaced for Federally planned roads.
West Point's System Engineering text (Decision Making in Systems Engineering and Management) notes the defect of the US government plan:
"In fact, one of the most significant failings of the current U.S. transportation system is that the automobile was never thought of as being part of a system until recently. It was developed and introduced during a period that saw the automobile as a standalone technology largely replacing the horse and carriage. So long as it outperformed the previous equine technology, it was considered a success. This success is not nearly so apparent if the automobile is examined from a systems thinking perspective. In that guise, it has managed to fail miserably across a host of dimensions. Many of these can be observed in any major US city today: oversized cars and trucks negotiating tight roads and streets, bridges and tunnels incapable of handling daily traffic density, insufficient parking, poor air quality induced in areas where regional air circulation geography restricts free flow of wind, a distribution of the working population to suburban locations necessitating automobile transportation, and so on. Had the automobile been developed as a multilateral system interconnected with urban (and rural) transportation networks and environmental systems, U.S. cities would be in a much different situation than they find themselves in today."
"What is important here is not that the automobile could have been developed differently, but that in choosing to design, develop and deploy the automobile as a stand alone technology, a host of complementary transportation solutions to replace the horse and buggy were not considered."
By Executive Order, on August 1, 1918, President Wilson socialized communications under an unconstitutional Federal monopoly. For nearly a century, the liberty to innovate was frozen by government central planning.
There was an understanding of what was possible.
In 1920, W.W. Macfarlane of Philidelphia talked with his wife from a moving car. In 1946, the first commercial car phone service began in the US and in 1959 in the UK.
In 1968, the technologies of the Internet were known, but planners enforce plans. Innovation disrupts plans.
It was not until the Federal communications monopoly was declared unconstitutional in 1982 and the High Performance Computing and Communication Act of 1991 that the Internet was allowed to change from a plan to a free, innovative market. By 1994, it was becoming ubiquitous as this Today Show clip illustrates.
In 1934, there were 600,000 windmills in the US and a renewable energy industry that was building up to 80,000 more windmills each year.
Then in violation of the Constitution, FDR's Rural Electrification wiped out the entire renewable energy industry for most of a century starting in 1935.
Federal policies removed energy self-reliance and sustainability as market forces and mandated the burning of coal.
The world followed the US Federal model in implementing oil/coal burning infrastructures and creating government monopolies to prevent lower cost, sustainable alternatives.
Breaking the Federal communications monopoly created millions of jobs digitizing communications.
Breaking the Federal power and transportation monopolies will create millions of jobs digitizing power and mobility.
End Climate Change by 2022
End the primary drivers of Climate Change and perpetual oil-wars by Memorial Day 2022, in 3 years.
- Immediately stop all Federal funding and subsidies to oil and coal burning infrastructures.
- After a century of hand-wringing over gradual solutions, Federal support for slavery was ended in 3 years. Repeat the success of ending slavery. Simply stop. It is not easy, but it is simple.
Federal funding created Climate Change. See the graph and explanation on the right of how the Federal highway monopoly replaced efficient rail with oil-burning roads.
After World War II, governments around the world followed the US Federal socialist model of governments controlling the means of production in monopolizing oil-burning highways.
As with the century of rotary telephones under Federal monopoly, Climate Change was created by a century under a Federal monopoly that mandates the 25 mpg efficiency of the Model-T.